Truck Accident Lawyers in Las Cruces, New Mexico
At the Law Offices of Kenneth G. Egan, our truck accident attorney in Las Cruces, New Mexico understands that if you have been involved in a collision with a tractor-trailer, you are going to need an experienced lawyer to help you get the financial recovery you deserve.
For more than 25 years, our Doña Ana County semi-truck accident lawyer has successfully represented those who have injured and family members who have lost loved ones in 18-wheeler accidents throughout the state. Our attorney will pursue the proper party who caused your truck crash whether it is the truck driver, trucking company, or a third-party manufacturer, for your medical expenses, lost wages, and overall needs, so you can focus on your recovery.
Semi-Truck Accident Statistics In New Mexico And Throughout The U.S.
It is difficult to feel safe when driving alongside a tractor-trailer, especially when traveling at a high rate of speed. A passenger vehicle is no match for the size, height, and weight of a semi-truck during an accident, and when a large truck sideswipes or rear-ends a car or SUV, the outcome can be devastating.
Last year throughout the U.S., the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reported:
- Nearly 475,000 crashes involving tractor-trailer trucks
- 3,864 fatal crashes involving large trucks
- 104,000 injuries reported from semi-truck crashes
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported 379 traffic-related fatalities last year in New Mexico alone; 74 of which occurred during accidents involving large trucks.
A University of New Mexico study recorded that year in New Mexico:
- A semi-truck crash occurred every four hours
- Crashes involving heavy trucks totaled 2,326; the highest level in the past five years
- Large trucks were involved in 5.2% of all traffic crashes in the state but accounted for 10.4% of all traffic fatalities
When negligent truck drivers take the road, accidents can and will occur, injuring our Las Cruces, New Mexico residents without notice. If you have been involved in an accident with a semi-truck, do not face the driver, trucking company, or their insurance representatives alone.
Where Is Large-truck Traffic The Heaviest In Las Cruces, New Mexico?
New Mexico is home to many major interstates that provide commercial transit throughout the state while offering connections between Texas, Arizona, and Colorado, which means tractor-trailers are constantly sharing the roads with passenger vehicles. Unfortunately, the more trucks there are on our roadways, the higher the potential for tractor-trailer truck accidents to occur.
According to the New Mexico Department of Transportation, of the total vehicle traffic counts in our state, the following percentages are semi-trucks:
- Interstate I-10: 30% truck traffic
- Interstate I-25: 22% truck traffic
- Interstate I-40: 30% truck traffic
- 40% of the traffic traveling from Albuquerque to the Texas state line is comprised of tractor-trailer trucks
What Are The Most Common Types of Tractor-Trailer Truck Accidents In Las Cruces, New Mexico?
The frequency of tractor-trailer truck accidents provides a startling look at how negligence plays a role in personal injuries. When our clients are injured in semi-truck accidents, they are going to need an experienced Las Cruces truck accident attorney to identify the cause of the crash and pinpoint who is responsible, in order to pursue the best financial outcome for their unique case.
Common types of large truck accidents negligence can include:
- Truck driver negligence, which can include:
- Aggressive driving
- Driver fatigue
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Texting while driving
- Unsafe lane movements
- Trucking company negligence, which can include:
- Hiring inexperienced drivers
- Improper training requirements
- Failing to administer random drug tests
- Failure to conduct adequate background checks or review driving records
- Failure to maintain the truck, which can lead to:
- Brake failure
- Defective equipment
- Improper reflectors
- Transmission malfunctions
- Unsafe tires and blowouts
- Damaged straps and tie downs
Negligent behavior by any party who is responsible for the safe travel of these large trucks can lead to dangerous traffic collisions that leave other drivers vulnerable to serious injuries deadly crashes, including:
- Jackknife accidents, which are typically caused by truck drivers who are speeding or following traffic too closely. When these accidents occur, the trailer of the truck, and its contents – which can weigh up to 80,000 pounds – swings around the cab of the truck, often causing the contents to spill onto the roadway or ending in a rollover.
- Underride accidents, which occur when a semi-truck makes a sudden stop, causing a passenger vehicle to become trapped underneath the trailer.
- Unsecured cargo accidents, which can lead to the contents rolling onto the roadways, causing serious accidents across all traffic patterns. Improperly loaded cargo can also lead to overturned semi-trucks.
At the Law Offices of Kenneth G. Egan, our Las Cruces semi-truck accident attorney will fully evaluate your collision from accident to recovery, beginning with a free case evaluation by calling (575) 523-2222 today.
At Law Offices of Kenneth G. Egan, Our Personal Injury Law Firm Also Focuses On The Following Practice Areas:
Truck Accident Related Blogs: